Monday, March 5, 2012

The Old Cracker Tin

This is no ordinary cracker tin. It is a 60-year-old vintage gem, and more importantly, a treasure belonging to my grandmother, who died before I was born.


I never even knew about it. My fairy godmother uncovered it from her kitchen and surprised me with it for my birthday. I'm sure she loved it and used it all the time, but am so touched she felt I was its rightful owner.

A little more about this quirky kitchen gadget. The knob on top is filled with mysterious "blue magic" crystals that turn bright blue when heat activated. The knob can be adjusted to air circulation and humidity, and absorbs moisture in chips and crackers. Snacks stay fresh longer like magic!

From a 50s ad in Life, http://www.kitchen-retro.com


Here's a closer look at the absorbing crystals, which I will try not to associate with the nuclear era it was created in. I know this thing really works, even after all these years.


I can't wait to use this in my kitchen one day.


For now, it feels too precious to use so I will keep it as a treasure chest of relics. Any cook can understand the transcendent power of a beloved kitchen tool that is passed down to them. Great-grandmother's silver, grandfather's watch, Aunt Gertie's porcelain teacups.

My fairy godmother appreciates this more than anyone, which is why she saved my grandfather's ancient Pendleton wool robe for me all these years. It still looks great and I wear it almost every day.

 I have long felt a strong attachment to the grandma I never knew. I hope she knows how much I hold her silly, old cracker tin so dear to my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing a lovely story as well as the info which led me to your blog! :)
My husband has fond memories of these as a child and I am begining a search for one as a gift :)
Peace and Thanks,
G

Ravenous Woman said...

Thanks for your thoughts, G, what a lovely thought for a gift! I would keep checking flea markets if you're looking for a deal, or ebay if you don't want to wait. Good luck and thanks for visiting!